1 a title given to rulers or other important people in Asian countries
2 an inn in some Eastern countries with a large courtyard that provides accommodation for caravans [syn: caravansary, caravanserai, caravan inn]
Etymology 1From Old French chan or Latin canus, from Turkic khān ‘lord, prince’ (borrowed into Arabic, Persian, Mongolian etc.).
Etymology 2Persian (khān).
- a caravanserai;
a resting-place for a travelling caravan
- 1923: ‘Guess the name of that,’ she said, pointing to her delicate parts. The porter tried this name and that and ended by asking her to tell him and cease her slapping. ‘The khān of Abu-Mansur,’ she replied. — The Thousand Nights and One Night, tr. Powys Mathers
Khan may refer to:
- Khan (title), a title for a ruler in Turkic and Mongolian languages.
- Khan (name), a common Central Asian and South Asian Muslim family name. It is the most common family name in Pakistan
- Khanzada or Khan Zadeh, son of Khan, is a title and surname used in Pakistan
- Khan Bahadur, a title of honour issued by British India to Muslims who performed a deed of great service to the nation
- Praga Khan, Belgian techno musician
- Khan Noonien Singh, the villain from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- Khan (comics), Marvel Comics character
- Khan!, 1975 US television series, and its main character, a Chinese-American detective
- Khan (band), English progressive rock band in the 70s
- Khan or Han, caravanserai, medieval Central Asian roadside inn
- A municipal subdivision of the administrative divisions of Cambodia
khan in French: Khan (homonymie)
khan in Korean: 칸
khan in Dutch: Khan
khan in Japanese: ハーン (曖昧さ回避)
Dalai Lama, Esquire, Great Mogul, Holy Roman Emperor, Inca, Kaiser, Master, Mister, Mogul, Muslim rulers, Prinz, Sir, ardri, atheling, bey, cacique, caesar, caliph, cham, crown prince, czar, effendi, emir, hakim, heir apparent, heir presumptive, imam, kaid, king, knez, mikado, mirza, nawab, negus, nizam, padishah, pendragon, pharaoh, prince, prince consort, prince regent, princeling, princes of India, rig, sachem, sagamore, sahib, shah, shahzada, sheikh, sherif, shogun, sirdar, sire, sirrah, sultan, tenno, tycoon